To start, a few sobering statistics from the American Diabetes Association:
- 25.8 million children and adults suffer from diabetes. This is equal to 8.3% of the population.
- Another 79 million people have prediabetes, or elevated blood glucose levels that could progress into Type 2 diabetes without healthy lifestyle changes.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults.
- 60 to 70% of people with diabetes have mild to severe forms of nervous system damage.
- In 2007, the total medical cost of diagnosed diabetes was estimated at $174 billion dollars.