The recipe below is wonderful because it takes only about 20 minutes, start to finish. You can serve this for dinner with another veggie side dish, like some squash or a salad, and dinner is done. The spinach in this recipe is a nutritional powerhouse – it’s a great source of Vitamins A and C, as well as minerals like iron. And if you want to add some extra protein to the mix, you can mix in some chopped grilled chicken.
Makes 4 servings (approximately ¾ cup each)
- 16 ounce bag of refrigerated or frozen gnocchi (if you wanted to spend more time on this meal, you could try making the gnocchi yourself)
- 10 ounce bag of raw spinach, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, boil water in a large pot. Add gnocchi. Gnocchi will be done when it floats on top.
3) When onion is tender, add garlic to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute.
4) Add spinach (it will shrink down as it cooks, so if you can’t fit it all in the pan at first just keep stirring it around until you can add the rest). Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
5) Drain gnocchi. Toss with spinach mixture. Portion out into 4 equal servings (approximately ¾ cup each).
6) Sprinkle 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese on top of each serving. Yum!
Nutrition Analysis per Serving: 353 calories, 6 g fat, 63 g of carbohydrate, 12 g of protein