The event was geared towards parents and children, and was held at the Dana-Farber Field House, giving children a first-hand look at where the New England Patriots practice. Their excitement only grew when New England Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski showed up, signing autographs and posing for pictures before joining other community leaders in a panel discussion. In addition to Stephen Gostkowski, other panel members included Julie Menounos, Stop & Shop’s first in-store nutritionist; Ed Hurley, president of the Hockomock YMCA; and Karen Zangari, registered dietitian at Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
So what does the New England Patriots player like to eat for snacks? “Pistachios, yougurt, granola, apples, carrots, and Clif bars.”
The rest of the panel also gave other great nutrition and fitness tips. A few worth highlighting:
- Before grocery shopping, make a list...and plan your weekly menu to save time and money.
- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store first for fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and dairy - then head to the inner aisles only for staples like whole grain bread, beans, and brown rice.
- Eat breakfast everyday.
- Choose whole fruit rather than fruit juice most of the time.
- Stay away from sugar sweetened beverages.
- Try to be active as a family, and choose fun activities.
- Utilize resources that are available, including local facilities like the YMCA, your grocery store's healthy recipes, Fuel Up to Play 60, and MyPlate.