Oh my goodness – these easy little creations were so delicious! After getting a skeptical look when I told my husband that this pita sandwich would have cucumbers in it - he ended up loving it. I was happy I made enough for both of us to have some leftovers for lunch the next day.
This recipe fits into a healthy eating plan too! The pita is whole wheat, so you’re getting a source of healthy carbohydrates with fiber and minerals. Most of the pita is stuffed with veggies like cucumber and tomato, helping you to meet your daily veggie needs and providing lots of nutrients and phytochemicals. Plus we pack in some protein with grilled chicken, and boost the flavor with feta cheese.
Drooling yet? ;) Here you go!
Makes 4 servings
1 pound grilled chicken
2-3 tbsp lite balsamic vinaigrette
1 cucumber, peeled
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
¼ to ½ of a large red onion (to taste)
2 teaspoons olive oil
Juice from ½ lemon
3/4 cup feta cheese (split into 4 servings)
2 full whole wheat pitas, split in half for 4 servings (or 4 small pita pockets)
- Marinate chicken in lite balsamic vinaigrette dressing. If you have time you can chill it in the fridge, but I just coated the chicken right before cooking.
- Cook chicken. I used my George Forman grill, but you could also easily use an outdoor grill or sauté in a pan with a small amount of olive oil (the olive oil method would add a bit more calories and fat to the nutrition facts listed below).
- While chicken is cooking, chop cucumber and red onion; mix in a bowl. Half cherry tomatoes and add to the cucumbers and onion.
- Pour olive oil, lemon, and Italian seasoning in the bowl with the vegetables. Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cut pita bread in half so you can stuff the pita pockets. Place vegetable mixture, chopped cooked chicken, and feta cheese in the pita pocket and enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving (based on the pita I used which was 115 calories per serving):
379 calories, 12 grams of fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 32 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber, 6 grams sugar, 35 grams protein, 16% Vitamin A, 31% Vitamin C, 18% calcium, 15% iron