I was brainstorming how to use these, and remembered that Terra Chips had a variety that they sold which I really liked, and it included sweet potato and beet chips. So I decided to experiment with that idea by making my own beet chips!
I started by washing and scrubbing the beets, then slicing them. Wow, isn’t that color just fantastic?!
The chips didn’t look very beautiful after cooking – partially because I didn’t have a mandolin slicer to get those nice, very thin chip-like slices – but they tasted fantastic.
Here’s the recipe – give them a try!
Baked Rosemary Beet Chips
Makes 1-2 servings, depending on if you like to share
4 fresh beets
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons dried rosemary (you can use more or less depending on your taste preferences)
A dash of salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove beet greens, stalks, and the bottom part of each beet. Wash and scrub beets well.
- Cut beets into thin slices. I don’t have a mandolin slicer, so I just used a sharp knife, but the mandolin would definitely be quicker and make it much easier to get a uniform size.
- Toss in a bowl with olive oil, rosemary, and salt.
- Spread onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15-25 minutes, until beets are crisp. Keep an eye on them, as cooking time will depend on the size of your beets and thinness of the slices.
- Let cool for a couple minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition Analysis (for total recipe):
227 calories, 10 grams of fat, 354 mg sodium, 33 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein