Tatsoi is a leafy green that is sometimes also called Japanese spinach, and is a relative of Chinese cabbage and bok choy. And it is a nutritional powerhouse! One cup contains just about 30 calories, meets your daily needs for Vitamin A (important for healthy eyesight) and Vitamin C (for proper immunity), contains a heaping helping of folate (essential for pregnant women!), and has smaller amounts of many other vitamins and minerals. It's an amazingly nutrient dense food that's great to add to any meal.
- You may have a hard time finding tatsoi at the grocery store, but local farmers markets or Asian supermarkets may carry it.
- Tatsoi will last about 3-4 days in the fridge after you purchase it.
- You can eat tatsoi raw or cooked. Some people feel the leaves are slightly bitter raw, but I actually liked them that way as well as cooked.
- Consider trying tatsoi in salads, soups, stir fries, or on a sandwich!
I made my tatsoi rather simply - sauteed in olive oil with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and little pepper. I've included my recipe at the bottom of this post, but I've found lots of other great recipes online too. Be sure to check out these:
- Gingery Sauteed Tat-Soi with Tofu Steaks
- Lemon-pepper tatsoi
- Tatsoi and Sweet-Corn Salad With Peach-Nectar Dressing (Note to self: Need to try ASAP - this sounds amazing!)
- Salmon with Tatsoi and Red Onions
OK, so I made a simple Tomatoes & Tatsoi side dish. You start with these ingredients...
Makes approximately four 1/2 cup side dishes
1/2 bunch of tatsoi
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1) Coarsely chop tatsoi and tomatoes.
2) Chop onions and mince garlic.
3) Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a large pan. Add all veggies. Add pepper to taste.
4) Saute for 5-10 minutes, or until tatsoi starts to wilt slightly. You can alter the time depending on if you like crisper greens (shorter time) or softer greens (longer time). Enjoy!
Last but not least, congrats to Patti for guessing correctly in our initial post to win a $10 Amazon.com gift card! We raffled off the second gift card to the remaining incorrect answers, and Lynda was lucky enough to win that one. Be sure to visit again soon for more great nutrition tips, fitness information, recipes and giveaways.