Since we’re visiting family in New York, all the calorie counts were on the menu at I-HOP. I love this. I know research varies on whether menu labeling actually helps consumers make better choices. But for people who are trying to be aware of their eating habits, I think it’s great for the calorie information to be right there on the menu. Of course, calories don’t tell the whole nutrition story, but it’s still helpful.
And I-HOP definitely has some nutritional nightmares – some of which you may not even think would top the calorie charts. I also like to check the saturated fat and sodium information for restaurant meals, because many are high in these components. Even though you don’t see the saturated fat or sodium on the menu itself, it’s easy to find this information online if you’re curious. Consider these items that might be dangerous to your diet:
- Breakfast Sampler – 1160 calories, 70 grams of fat (21 g sat fat), 3150 mg sodium
- Two Eggs, Hash Browns, & Toast – 1080 calories, 63 grams of fat (23 g sat fat), 1580 mg sodium
- Strawberry Banana French Toast – 1060 calories, 45 g fat (12 g sat fat), 1050 mg sodium, 41 g of sugar
Instead, here are some suggestions for better choices the next time you visit I-HOP:
- Simple and Fit Spinach, Mushroom, and Tomato Omelet with Fresh Fruit – 330 calories, 12 g fat (4.5 g sat fat), and 690 mg sodium
- Simple and Fit Two Egg Breakfast – 350 calories, 8 g fat (1.5 g sat fat), 710 mg sodium
- Short stack of pancakes (3) – 470 calories, 15 g fat (5 g sat fat), 1590 mg sodium – Instead of butter and syrup, top this with strawberry or cinnamon apple topping (skip the whip cream) to add less than 100 calories and lots of flavor
Where does this fit in with my 25 days? Well, first, hopefully it helpful to you in making healthier choices next time you’re out! And of course, since Christmas Eve marked Day 24 of 25 Days of Christmas Kindness, I decided to leave a larger than average tip for our waitress. Our bill came to $21 and I left her $10 – hopefully it helped make her holiday season a little better.