Over the last year, I’ve been trying to buy less – as a bargain hunter, I tend to be drawn to the good deals too frequently! But I’ve still accumulated more clothes than I need. Today, I spent several hours trying on every single item I owned. The room was a disaster area in this process, as you can see…
Clutter – in the form of too many items in a room – can make it difficult to clean regularly and thoroughly. This can lead to increased accumulation of dust, dirt, and germs in the house – which can contribute to increased illness and problems like asthma.
- Disorganization makes it difficult to find items you need. “Where did I put that medicine?” “Where are my pants for the gym?” The more time you spend looking for these, the more frustrated you may get and the more likely you may be to just decide not to proceed with it (like decide to skip your medicine or decide not to go to the gym).
- When there are lots of items cluttering a floor, you have a greater risk of tripping and falling, which can lead to serious injuries that prevent your ability to exercise and may lead to weight gain.
- Constantly seeing disorganization can cause anxiety and sometimes even depression in certain people.
- Being disorganized in the kitchen can impact your diet, too. If you don’t regularly clean out the fridge and pantry, or if you have lots of items that you never use taking up space, it can be difficult to quickly assess the stapes that you need to pick up at the grocery store. You also risk eating something potentially hazardous in terms of food safety if you let leftovers sit in the fridge too long.
- A cluttered bedroom may affect some people’s ability to relax and fall asleep at a good time, which could affect health in many ways.
- Having too many items in a living room or family room could prevent you from having space to exercise at home when you don’t have time to get to the gym.
I know for myself personally, having too much clutter and disorganization makes me feel anxious whenever I see it. Plus, too many items in my closet and dresser makes it more difficult to clean, organize, and easily see all the items I have.